Melissa Reese, Deputy Town Attorney & Proescutor
Nicholas A. Romano, Prosecutor
Anthony Vesona, Legal Assistant
The Office of the Town Attorney advises and represents the Town of Cheektowaga, the Town Board, and all Town Departments with respect to legal affairs of the Town. Duties and services provided to the Town Supervisor, members of the Town Board, and all Town Departments include, but are not limited to:
- Representation of the Supervisor, Town Board, elected officials, and Town Departments with respect to the prosecution and/or defense of all actions and proceedings brought by or against the Town;
- Conducting legal research on behalf of the Town Supervisor, Town Board, and Department Heads and providing opinions to the Board;
- Drafting proposed legislation, local laws, ordinances, regulations, and policies for the Town, and reviewing legislative proposals submitted by outside agencies, individuals, and special interest groups which may impact the Town;
- Participation in and/or oversight of grievances, arbitrations, and disciplinary hearings;
- Examination and approval of title to all real property acquired by the Town and preparation of documents regarding the purchase and sale of Town property; conducting real property closings as necessary for the Town and Community Development;
- Preparation and review of agreements, leases, and easements affecting Town-owned real property;
- Preparation and review of all contracts between Town departments and vendors;
- Initiation and defense of actions and proceedings on behalf of the Town;
- Defense of assessment challenges brought against the Town;
- Prosecution of foreclosure proceedings brought by the Town;
- Preparation, review, and approval of all bids and specifications;
- Investigation of all claims against the Town and coordination of defense of claims with outside counsel retained through self-insurance program;
- Counsel to the Zoning Board of Appeals and Planning Board;
- Preparation of resolutions on various matters for Town Board meetings;
- Attendance at Town Board meetings and Work Sessions.
The Town Prosecutors prosecute Town ordinance and local law violations, as well as Vehicle and Traffic and Penal Law violations (not including misdemeanors and felonies, which are handled by the Erie County District Attorney's Office).
THE TOWN ATTORNEY'S OFFICE ETHICALLY AND BY STATE LAW IS UNABLE TO GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR OPINIONS TO PRIVATE INDIVIDUALS.
FOR PRIVATE ISSUES AND CONFLICTS, ONE MUST SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PRIVATE ATTORNEY.